The list of Specially Designated areas in terms of the Immovable Property Act (Cap.246) is as shown hereunder:
- Fort Chambray
- Portomaso Development
- Cottonera Development
- Manoel Island/Tignè Point
- Tas-Sellum Residence (Mellieha Project)
- Madliena Village Complex
- Smart City
- Fort Cambridge Zone, Tignè
- Ta’ Monita Residence, Marsascala
- Pender Place And Mercury House Site
- Kempinski Residences, San Lawrenz, Gozo
- Metropolis Plaza, Gzira
- Portomaso Extension I, St Julians
Stamp duty is payable at 3.5% on the first €150,000 and at 5% from then onwards on the acquisition of immovable property. One per cent is payable on the signing of the Preliminary Agreement whilst the remaining four per cent is payable on the signing of the final deed. Sale of property is not subject to Value Added Tax (VAT).
As from 1st January 2013, when a person transfers property, for one time only, by way of donation to the children, which property is intended to be used or developed by the same children as their sole residence, there shall be no stamp duty chargeable on the first €250,000 of the value of the property so transferred.